Thursday, May 26, 2011

Road Trip: iPod Touch Holder Tutorial

The entertainment of last resort for our toddler is our iPod touch. I have downloaded a few videos specifically for Sora's enjoyment on our trip. The main problem is that I don't really want her to TOUCH the iPod touch. Tricky. It's very small, so it needs to be close enough to her that she can see and hear the video without actually being able to do much to it. Enter the iPod touch holder.


First, cut the pieces you will need. I made a long piece of bias tape to secure the pouch to a strap on the headrest. Also, it's hard to see, but I cut a small window out of clear vinyl**.

Hem one of the long edges of the smaller piece. Fold 1/4", then 1/4" again and edge stitch.

 Create the bias tape by folding the ends of the long piece to the middle, then folding in half. To do this effectively, I iron the piece in half first to know where the edges should be meeting.

 Edge stitch. Beautiful.

 You should have something that looks like this. I liked the looks of a rounded flap, so I just folded the larger piece in half and eyeballed the curve I wanted and cut. Cut the bias tape into two short strips approx. 4.75" long.

 Sandwich it all together, right sides together with the straps inside, and sew. I cheated and used the serger to create an easy line to fold the flap on, but would recommend sewing all the way around if just using a sewing machine using 1/4" seam allowance. Then, hem the flap, using the 1/4" stitching as a guide to fold on.
 With your pouch inside out, measure and mark the window and cut out the 1" x 3.25" piece, including a notch at each corner.

 With the pouch still inside out, iron the edges of the newly formed square to the 1/2" mark you made earlier. Carefully sew the vinyl in place.**

Insert iPod and mark where the snap or button placement.

 Add button or snap and you're all set to go!



 **Disclaimer: I had to totally ditch the vinyl idea when I realized I only had a ballpoint sewing needle that was not cooperating with this project. I ended up using a lot of packing tape instead, but still lament that decision. I would completely recommend the vinyl, but the packing tape has worked in a pinch.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! Our kids have pretty much ruined the DVD players. If you ever need something feel free to call me. I tend to stock up because I HATE to run out! Beth

    ReplyDelete