Monday, April 11, 2011

A Tale of Two Dresses

As part of our Friday ritual, Sora and I head to the thrift store after story hour at the library. It is a small store with a lot of cheap stuff. I try to challenge myself to see things in a new light and be creative in my purchases. Sora loves to drag her basket around the store filling, and then emptying, it with all of the toys that we usually put back.

A few weeks ago, I came across two vintage daisy pillowcases for $1. I couldn't resist the desire to make more dresses! They were a little too thin, so I did end up spending another dollar for white pillowcases to line the dresses with, but for $1 each, these dresses are too cute!
I experimented with the bodices and modified the Jump Rope Dress pattern to create a fitted bodice for Sora's dress, and I modified the bodice from the Ice Cream Social dress for her cousin's dress. The skirts are the entire width of the pillowcase gathered to match the bodice.

I cut and finished one dress during Sora's nap. I love those quick projects, and I think it will be perfect for summer. Maybe I can get the girls together for a photo shoot someday if I'm lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment